How We're Different
It’s true, meditation has a PR problem. It’s been associated with chanting monks, bearded gurus, cross-legged yogi’s, pot-smoking hippies and all kinds of strange and dubious ideas. It’s often taught in an overly traditional, religious, dogmatic or just plain flaky way — and it’s not always apparent when you sign up for a course whether you’ll be learning how to calm your mind, or being welcomed into a cult.
In contrast, at the Melbourne Meditation Centre we base our teaching on solid science and psychology and our aim is to make our instruction as clear, practical and useful as possible.
On our courses you won’t have to sit cross-legged (unless you really want to), you won’t have to adopt the philosophies of a religion and you’ll get instructions in plain English.
We don’t expect you to practice for hours each day, nor to try and stop yourself from thinking (a sure recipe for struggle, failure and disappointment).
You’ll be getting the strategies and information most suited to contemporary life. That is, techniques that you can integrate into your day, rather than ways to hide or escape from the inevitable stresses of our time.
We’re one of Melbourne’s most experienced and reputable meditation centres.
Here are a few of the things that set us apart.
- We’re meditation and mindfulness specialists.
- We don’t require you to sit cross-legged, or even still.
- We don’t expect you to stop thinking.
- We don’t expect you to meditate for hours a day.
- We teach a variety of meditation styles and techniques — not just one.
- We help you to find the technique(s) that work for you.
- We explain how and why meditation works.
- Our instructions are clear, concise and jargon-free.
- We teach you skills which you can use outside class, in your daily life.
- We teach you meditations that you can do anywhere and at any time.
- We encourage you to decide for yourself what works and what doesn’t.
- We welcome questions, comments, criticism and feedback.
- We provide comprehensive course notes and resources.
- We are not associated with any religious or spiritual groups.
In essence, we aim to teach you the principles and skills needed in order to be able to meditate effectively and imaginatively by yourself, away from the crutch of a class or teacher.