Meditation Teacher TrainingLearn to teach meditation and mindfulness — your own way.
Learn to teach meditation and mindfulness under the guidance of Melbourne Meditation Centre Director, Matt Young.
Expect a down-to-earth, non-religious approach in which you are introduced to a wide range of techniques that can be integrated into a busy life.
The course is practical and experiential, fully accredited and focuses on teaching you how to present meditation and mindfulness in a gentle, user-friendly style that will appeal to a wide range of audiences.
Instead of presenting you with a ‘right’ way to teach, you will be supported and encouraged to develop your own way of teaching.
You’ll also have lifetime access to a carefully curated collection of online resources, including articles, podcasts and videos from a variety of teachers. You’ll get to explore meditation from surprising, innovative and unique angles and be exposed to ideas that you’re unlikely to find anywhere else.
You will also have the opportunity to connect with a vibrant community of peers interested in learning from one another and exploring together.
- Gain the confidence and experience necessary to guide and teach.
- Learn how to make meditation accessible and enjoyable.
- Write and record your own guided meditation scripts.
- Understand what techniques to teach and in what order.
- Work through real-life case studies and scenarios.
- Learn how to effectively market your own classes.
- Enjoy the company of like-minded and supportive peers.
- Deepen and develop your personal practice in surprising ways.
Thanks so much for the wonderful teacher training course. It has re-shaped my understanding of meditation, challenged me to begin to practise what I’ve learnt, and given me heart to keep going. I have learnt a lot about myself, and about how people learn meditation. I know I’m just scratching the surface. Thankyou for your skillfulness, your openness, and your generous spirit in sharing so much of your experience with us. It has been a pleasure to be a member of this teacher training group.
Course Details & Features
The course usually runs four times a year. You can choose from three formats:
- 12 x 90-minute sessions
- 4 x 5-hour sessions
- 7-day retreat.
$1350 / $1000 concession. (Pricing may vary on retreat).
Industry Standard Qualification
Comprehensive course notes provided
Lifetime access to online resources
Practical & Experiential
Teach in your own style
No multi-year time commitments
I just wanted to say thank you for the opportunity to experience your teaching. Teachers like you only come around rarely.
While the first part of the teacher training course was challenging, you managed to create an environment where we all felt supported in sharing our confusion, meditation experiences and growth. I was really impressed by the way you dealt with the multitude of issues that were tackled during the learning. Your humble attitude to instruction was incredibly freeing.
I now feel confident that I have a meditation practice that I am happy to share and have the skills to allow meditators to speak for themselves. Thank you so much.
Teacher Training Schedule & Dates
12 Mondays from 8:15 — 9:45pm.
- February 3, 10, 17, 24, & March 2, 9
- 6 week break
- April 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25 & June 1.
At our Clifton Hill venue.
$1350 / $1000 (Concession).
12 Mondays from 8:15 — 9:45pm.
- Sep 21, 27, Oct 5, 12, 19 & 26
- 1 week break
- Nov 9, 16, 23 & 30, Dec 7 & 14
At our Clifton Hill venue.
$1350 / $1000 (Concession).
Course Registration & Payment
To guarantee a spot on course you will need to make a non-refundable deposit of $250.
Payment in full is required before the commencement of the course.
You may pay in installments.
I wanted to share with you how valuable I found the meditation teacher training to be. I really appreciated the open and calm environment and the practicality of the course. I also got a lot out reading some of the recommended books not only in teaching meditation but also in my own personal meditation practice and journey. I loved how the style of meditation teaching was so accessible to everyone and found that you were always so open to answering any questions and listening to any feedback from the trainees.
The Meditation Teacher Training course is open to anyone with an interest in guiding or teaching meditation. There are two prerequisites:
1. You must have completed, or be participating concurrently, in one of our six-week Meditation & Mindfulness for Beginners Courses.*
2. Ideally, you will have two or more years meditation experience.
* If you live outside Melbourne, or do not require certification, you may elect to complete the Meditation & Mindfulness For Beginners Course online. However, you will be required to participate in a Retreat or Mini-Retreat in order to satisfy the minimum requirements for accreditation with the Meditation Association of Australia.
You do not have to complete the Beginners Course when participating in the retreat format of the Teacher Training course.
I achieved so much more knowledge than I thought possible to learn about meditation and self. It [the online course] was so detailed — and offered in a way that made sense and was easy to understand.
I am really enjoying the [Beginners] course and it has already taught me far more than I expected.
Who is the course suitable for?
Typical participants include yoga teachers, psychologists, counsellors, massage therapists, teachers and others involved in education, health and wellbeing. Students usually go on to offer meditation in their community (e.g. school, TAFE, wellbeing centre, etc.) or workplace.
The course covers:
- how to present meditation in easily digestible and understandable terms
- how to lead/guide a meditation skillfully
- how to establish an appropriate setting for a meditation class
- common misconceptions and difficulties and how to overcome them
- how to answer challenging questions
- the role(s) of a meditation teacher
- your ethical responsibilities as a meditation teacher
- how to explain meditation to potential clients or organisations
- brochure design and advertising considerations
- starting and running a small business in the alternative health industry
The course is broken down into six, two-week modules:
- Teaching Methodologies
- Guiding Meditation Skillfully
- Understanding What to Teach: Meditation Types & Processes
- Talking about Meditation: Communicating with Students
- Physiology, Psychology and Neuroscience of Meditation
- Business Essentials, Ethics, Course Preparation, Outlines and Plans
The course itself includes practical work, case studies, opportunities to guide the glass, group and assignment work. Also, each course is unique in that it is tailored, to the degree possible, to the needs and interests of the participants.
Course Requirements & Certification
The Melbourne Meditation Centre currently offers two levels of accreditation, in line with standards set by the Meditation Association of Australia.
Level 1 (Basic) Accreditation
By successfully completing our Meditation Teacher Training course, in conjunction with our Meditation & Mindfulness for Beginners Course, you graduate with Level 1 Accreditation and receive a Certificate of Completion. This certificate satisfies the requirements of insurance providers and potential employers. Minimum Contact Hours: 18* | Total Hours: 60
Level 2 (Meditation Australia) Accreditation
Level 2 Accreditation requires completion of an additional 20 hours of training. These extra hours can be completed at home in your own time, though we recommend that you complete an additional 6 to 12 contact hours where possible.
Students completing these additional hours can then apply for Provisional Membership with Meditation Australia.
Most students find it possible to complete the requirements for Level 2 Accreditation over the duration of our 12-week Meditation Teacher Training Course. Contact Hours 27 – 40 | Total Hours: 80
- To meet the minimum contact hours for Level 1 Accreditation you need to attend all 4 OR 12 teacher training sessions, or the entire Teacher Training Retreat.
- To meet the minimum contact hours for Level 2 Accreditation you need to attend all six sessions of a Meditation & Mindfulness for Beginners Course AND all 4 OR 12 sessions of a Meditation Teacher Training Course, or the entire Teacher Training Retreat.
- If you miss any of the required sessions you can make them up by attending workshops, mini-retreats or full retreats.
The Melbourne Meditation Centre was definitely the right school for me to get my teacher training. Great lesson content, delivery and location. I loved the assignments as they were practical and useful. I learnt so much and felt encouraged to start teaching while in the course. The other students were friendly and a great resource to learn more from. Finally, the online resources were easily accessible and very comprehensive. A really great course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Meditation Teacher Training course accredited?
Our Meditation Teacher Training course is accredited through Meditation Australia, the peak body responsible for representing and settings standards for meditation teachers in the country.
Successful completion of the course provides you with Industry Standard qualifications and a streamlined application process to become a Registered Meditation Teacher through Meditation Australia.
Will I be able to obtain personal indemity and public liability insurance having completed the course?
Yes. Given fulfilment of course requirements, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. This can be used to obtain the necessary Public Liability and / or Professional Indemnity Insurance that many organisations require before they employ you, or allow you to hire their premises.
Will I be able to offer Medicare Rebates having completed the course?
No. As there is currently no government accreditation for meditation courses, meditation teachers are not able to offer rebates. If you are an Accredited Mental Health Social Worker or a qualified Psychologist you can offer clients a Medicare Rebate when offering meditation instruction as part of a suite of psychological services.
What actually happens on course?
The Meditation Teacher training course is presented in six modules. There will be various practical exercises and discussions which revolve around the themes, theory and ideas presented in these modules. Students will work individually and in small groups to complete these exercises and will also be set three assignments and a range of case studies and homework exercises. Each student will also be required to present a guided meditation to the class and encouraged to lead a meditation in their own preferred setting.
I must express my gratitude for the way in which the course with you has benefited my own personal life, through my work, relationships, and the way in which my attitude and relationship towards meditating has improved. I have no doubt that you will continue to share your passion and humble knowledge with students throughout Australia.
Thanks for being a great teacher, for being humble and most importantly for me personally for being encouraging and not intimidating, you really do teach rather than lecture. Thanks — it made learning so much easier and enjoyable.
I would like to thank you for conducting the Mediation Training Courses. I have benefited immensely from the two courses and am looking forward to completing more study in the area and hopefully becoming a meditation teacher in the not too distant future. I appreciated your non-judgmental teaching style and the opportunity to explore meditation in a relaxed atmosphere. It was quite a commitment for us (traveling so far) but we would do it all again! We are looking forward to future courses with you.
I have enjoyed teacher training immensely, and learned a huge amount.
I want to express my appreciation to you for a fabulous experience with all the learning I have done both in and via the course. I feel ready to make a difference in incorporating meditation in peoples’ lives through teaching, but I also feel deeply enriched personally.