About UsWho We Are and How We're Different
What We Do
The Melbourne Meditation Centre runs regular meditation and mindfulness courses, workshops and retreats for people who wish to learn how to relax their bodies and calm their minds — anywhere, and at any time.
How We Do It
We teach meditation and mindfulness as simple, practical skills. Because we don’t require you to sit cross-legged, or stop thinking, or to meditate for hours on end, our students find the techniques we share easy and enjoyable. We’ve helped thousands of people to feel calmer, less anxious, less reactive and better able to manage their thoughts and emotions, and even to fall asleep.
Why We Do It
The centre was founded in 2005 by Matt Young. At that time, it was almost impossible to learn to meditate outside an Eastern religious or spiritual context. Meditation was usually presented in a way that was off-putting for many people. Matt knew that meditation didn’t have to be mysterious and mystical. It could be taught on the basis of sound science and psychology and using plain English. It could also be adapted to the needs of contemporary people. No one in Melbourne seemed to be teaching in that way, so Matt did.
How We’re Different
Meditation has a PR problem. Even today people think of it as tuning out, sitting cross-legged or chanting Om. And meditation is still often taught in overly traditional styles that don’t take into account the realities of 21st century living.
In contrast, at the Melbourne Meditation Centre we base our teaching on solid science and psychology and offer instructions which are clear, practical and realistic.
We’re unique in that we teach you how to work with your thoughts and emotions, instead of simply trying to block them out (which never really works anyway).
We also teach you how to integrate meditation into your day, using ‘spot-meditations’ and mindfulness practices that you can use while engaged in regular daily activities, like walking, driving, waiting or working out.
And most importantly, we don’t just teach one technique or approach. We know from experience that what works for one person may not work for another; so we help you to find the strategies that work for you.
Here are a few of the things that set us apart.
- We’re meditation and mindfulness specialists.
- We don’t require you to sit cross-legged, or even still.
- We don’t expect you to stop thinking.
- We don’t expect you to meditate for hours a day.
- We teach a variety of meditation styles and techniques — not just one.
- We help you to find the technique(s) that work for you.
- We explain how and why meditation works.
- Our instructions are clear, concise and jargon-free.
- We teach you skills which you can use outside class, in your daily life.
- We teach you meditations that you can do anywhere and at any time.
- We encourage you to decide for yourself what works and what doesn’t.
- We welcome questions, comments, criticism and feedback.
- We provide comprehensive course notes and resources.
- We are not associated with any religious or spiritual groups.
Teacher, St Kilda